When Hitler Took Cocaine and Lenin Lost His Brain

A good litmus test for whether or not I enjoyed a book is to go back and see how often I marked it up. This one passes the test, my pen got a lot of exercise during the reading of  Giles Milton’s When Hitler Took Cocaine and Lenin Lost His Brain.

I’d guess just 10% of the writing I do in the margins are words and thoughts, the other 90% are stars and underlines. But in this one I wrote multiple times. It wasn’t anything particularly insightful, just things like holy shit, oh my god, insane, etc, but there was a lot of it. I found myself putting the book down every few pages to Google one of the stories or characters.

What I really loved about this book- aside from learning about history’s unknown chapters – is its format. There were three stories for each topic (for example, “Hell In Japan” or “Just Bad Luck”) and they all contained three really interesting stories that were just a few pages each.

Here are a few examples of what’s in this book:

  • 160 people lived through the atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
  • In 1906, the Bronx Zoo put a pygmy, Ota Benga, on display in the monkey house. The New York Times defended it.
  • A guy chugged two bottles of whiskey before the Titanic sunk and survived despite spending hours in icy cold waters.
  • The story about the last American killed in World War I is unreal.

This book was so much fun, I really can’t recommend it strongly enough. And yea, the title is not hyperbole; the stories about Hitler and Lenin were incredibly fascinating.

Source:

When Hitler Took Cocaine and Lenin Lost His Brain

 

(Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. For additional advertisement disclaimers click here.)