Be Good Enough

There are new investment products hitting the shelves every week. This fierce competition amongst asset management companies is driving down expense ratios, but investor’s are potentially paying higher costs. There are 50 U.S. Large Cap ETFs with over $500 million in assets, which means there will always be something in that category doing better than what you’ve selected.

Below are two nearly identical portfolios; both are sixty percent stocks and forty percent bonds. Each portfolio has twelve slices, with identical allocations in each sleeve. The only thing that’s different about them are the holdings. For example, portfolio 1 has a 10% position to U.S. Large Cap Growth, represented by RPG from Guggenheim. Portfolio 2 also has a 10% position to U.S. Large Cap Growth, except it gets its exposure through Vanguard’s VUG. Before we look at how these portfolios have performed, I need to caveat this by saying this is not what I view to be an “optimal” portfolio, it is not something I recommend. Not every asset class is included, there are no commodities, foreign bonds, or cryptocurrencies. This is for illustrative purposes only (HYG is the only overlap).


Portfolio 1 returned 5.95% per year, or 77% over this 10-year period. Portfolio 2 returned 5.19% per year, or 65% over the same time (The earliest common inception date for these portfolios are July 2007.).


The table below shows the best and worst 1 and 3-year periods. You’ll notice they’re very comparable, what put a little bit of space between them was the rebound in the twelve months following the 2009 bottom.


Portfolio 2 was mostly random, I didn’t put much thought into the funds I selected. Here’s the kicker; Portfolio 1 was selected using each of the best performing ETFs over the last ten years. The optimal portfolio given the assets I selected outperformed one that required zero thought by just 0.76% a year. The good enough portfolio captured 93% of the value as the perfect portfolio.

Creating the proper asset allocation and staying with it has a much bigger impact on your returns than selecting the best performing funds within those asset classes. The chart below is visual evidence of this. Portfolio 2 sold after the 23.3% decline in 2008, sat out 2009, and returned to the model in 2010. Portfolio 3 also sold after 2008, but it waited two years and returned to the model in 2011. This type of behavior kills returns. If you’re going to run away from risk after it’s already taken a bite out of your portfolio, you shouldn’t be investing, period.


I’m not saying the pieces don’t matter, of course they do. I’m just saying the pie is way more important. The good enough portfolio can get you 90% of the way there. Sticking with it will give you the other 10%.



This content, which contains security-related opinions and/or information, is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon in any manner as professional advice, or an endorsement of any practices, products or services. There can be no guarantees or assurances that the views expressed here will be applicable for any particular facts or circumstances, and should not be relied upon in any manner. You should consult your own advisers as to legal, business, tax, and other related matters concerning any investment.

The commentary in this “post” (including any related blog, podcasts, videos, and social media) reflects the personal opinions, viewpoints, and analyses of the Ritholtz Wealth Management employees providing such comments, and should not be regarded the views of Ritholtz Wealth Management LLC. or its respective affiliates or as a description of advisory services provided by Ritholtz Wealth Management or performance returns of any Ritholtz Wealth Management Investments client.

References to any securities or digital assets, or performance data, are for illustrative purposes only and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others.

The Compound Media, Inc., an affiliate of Ritholtz Wealth Management, receives payment from various entities for advertisements in affiliated podcasts, blogs and emails. Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. For additional advertisement disclaimers see here:

Please see disclosures here.