Today’s Animal Spirits is brought to you by YCharts
Mention Animal Spirits to receive 20% off when you initially sign up for the service
On today’s show we discuss:
- Investors put more money into stocks last week than they did in all of the 20th century
- Index funds are worse than Marxism
- The biggest ETF launch ever
- Real estate expert Bill McBride agrees with Ben
- Some good things are happening for the bottom half of Americans
- A worker shortage
- The right way to think about “paying” for the infrastructure bill
- Fidelity is hiring, check it out
- Margin loan is not a leading indicator
- 1 in 4 workers will be looking for a new job. I’m not buying it.
- First time investors are now 15% of the retail market
- Robinhood is a big player in crypto
The technologically enabled innovation evolving today is dwarfing that during any other period in history. It is creating “good deflation” and explosive demand. Battery technology is a good example. In @ARKInvest’s view, EVs will scale 15-20 fold in the next five years.
— Cathie Wood (@CathieDWood) April 6, 2021
The chart below shows that equity funds & ETFs have barely taken in fresh investments since the March 2009 bottom, despite a 660% return for the S&P 500. Incredible. Bond funds & ETFs, meanwhile, have taken in more than $3 trillion. Begs the question: Where’s the bubble? pic.twitter.com/v7IMAAYAt7
— Jurrien Timmer (@TimmerFidelity) April 6, 2021
(Bill McBride tweet: “Speculation would be significant house-flipping”)
(Myles Udland tweet: “$UBER: “As vaccination rates increase in the U.S.”)
1. UHNW investors have more money in collectibles than gold/precious metals.
(Are they just coming up with an excuse to buy what they want?) pic.twitter.com/qrZwvbChO0
— Corey Hoffstein 🏴☠️ (@choffstein) April 10, 2021
Investors @CollectableApp have opted to REJECT the $34,500 ($13.67/share) buyout offer presented to them for the '1996 SI for Kids Tiger Woods Card’ (PSA 10) 🐯
— Altan Insights (@AltanInsights) April 9, 2021
“Collectable received an offer to acquire the Wilt Chamberlain 1961 Fleer Rookie Card PSA 9 for $350,000. The asset was offered on Collectable this past Sunday, April 4th, 2021, for $200,000.” pic.twitter.com/C5skHNZwml
— Michael Batnick (@michaelbatnick) April 7, 2021
1/ The amount of U.S. dollar banknotes in circulation just hit $2.1 trillion.
Patterns in banknote usage are typically very stable, so we can get a good feel for how much cash would be circulating in a hypothetical world without COVID-19. pic.twitter.com/glUjN3m1dN
— John Paul Koning (@jp_koning) April 10, 2021
CoreLogic: House Prices up 9.2% Year-over-year in December https://t.co/YyM5k8ffE5
— Bill McBride (@calculatedrisk) February 2, 2021
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback, recommendations, or questions.
Check out our t-shirts, stickers, coffee mugs, and other swag here.
(Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. For additional advertisement disclaimers click here.)