Today’s Animal Spirits is presented by Groundfloor:
On today’s show we discuss:
- High-yield savings accounts aren’t moving
- JP Morgans metaverse lounge
- The car shortage continues
- This not the way (December 2021)
- Betting on The Oscars
- Airbnb earnings
- Shopify earnings
- Constellation earnings
- Roblox earnings
- Roku earnings
- The fastest and priciest real estate market on record
- The New Bazaar: how the economy shapes our lives
- Disney to develop residential neighborhoods
- Survey on life satisfaction and where the U.S. is headed
- The relationship between war and the stock market
- Million-dollar homes are becoming the norm
- Has there ever been a better time to be a home buyer? (2016)
Crypto twitter is standing on their head to convince (themselves?) that the correlation between legacy markets and BTC is broken.
Instead, as these two charts shows, the correlation has INCREASED to a new all-time high (over the last 2-months, or 8-weeks). pic.twitter.com/tAv45Gz8WX
— Jim Bianco biancoresearch.eth (@biancoresearch) February 20, 2022
JPMorgan: The metaverse is a $1 trillion per year market opportunity
— Blockworks (@Blockworks_) February 15, 2022
Headline- "Warren Buffett just invested $1 billion in crypto"
Actual story- "Buffett’s company had purchased $1 billion in shares of Nubank, a digital bank based in Brazil, and the largest of its kind in Latin America." pic.twitter.com/UjzNXb4y5e
— Michael Batnick (@michaelbatnick) February 17, 2022
Walmart: “Supply chain costs were over $400 million higher than expected at the beginning of the quarter.” But gross and operating margins expanded anyway https://t.co/zKf3YmfQ5P pic.twitter.com/Vs1Qvxda6l
— Sam Ro 📈 (@SamRo) February 17, 2022
I have steam coming out of my ears over this one.
Constellation's (Modelo, Corona) Q4 earnings call:
CFO "We want to make sure that we're not leaving any pricing on the table. We want to take as much as we can…we'll take as much pricing as we think the consumer can absorb."
— Lindsay Owens, PhD (@owenslindsay1) February 16, 2022
Interesting times in the ol’ stock market.
— Conor Sen (@conorsen) February 18, 2022
From the bottom on March 23, 2020:
Small caps +130%
Nasdaq 100 +96%
S&P 500 +77%
This is why every investor feels like a genius right now pic.twitter.com/hVoo3p0RJw
— Ben Carlson (@awealthofcs) February 8, 2021
A summary of @Shopify in 2021 vs 2019:
– Annual revenue nearly tripled to $4.6 billion
– GMV more than doubled to $175 billion
– 7 companies on Shopify IPO’d
– Merchant base doubled with 1 million new businesses launched on Shopify
The growth in commerce is alive & well.
— Harley Finkelstein (@harleyf) February 16, 2022
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback, recommendations, or questions.
Check out our t-shirts, stickers, coffee mugs, and other swag here.