The Cost of Doing Parenting Business

The number of babies born in the U.S. last year fell to a 32-year low, according to a recent article at The Wall Street Journal

About 3.8 million babies were born in the U.S. in 2018, which was a 2% decline y/o/y and and the fourth year in a row that this number fell.

The decline in birth rates is sad, and I’ll get to that in a minute, but there is a silver lining: research out of the University of Notre Dame found that 35% of the decline from 2006 to 2017 was due to declines in unplanned pregnancies.

You can see this in the chart below, which shows the birth rate crashing hard for women ages 15-19 and 20-24.

So 35% of the decline is due to unplanned pregnancies, which is great, but the other 65% I would imagine is mostly due to the economic hardships of raising a child.

The median income has moved at a snail’s pace over the years while the cost of child care has increased rapidly.

According to the Economic Policy Institute, in New York:

  • Infant care costs almost twice as much per year than in-state tuition for a four-year public college
  • Costs 4.7% more than average rent
  • Would take up 22.1% of a median family’s income
  • Would be unnafordable for more than 90% of the state’s population, using 7% of a family’s income as the maximum outlay.

New York is the sixth most expensive state for child care, but if you scroll through the list, most states tell the same story about raising children. When you click on the drop down box by state they all say the same thing: “Child care is unaffordable for typical families in _____.”

Child care is the biggest line item expense, but there are plenty of other expenses associated with raising a child besides day care. Below is an approximation of these costs.

The numbers above shake out to $33,000 a year. The details will vary from family to family but any way you slice it, having children is expensive and is a big part of why birth rates have gone down in ten of the last 11 years.

I don’t see what could turn this trend around, and whether or not this is a net positive or negative is a rail I’d prefer not to touch.

This content, which contains security-related opinions and/or information, is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon in any manner as professional advice, or an endorsement of any practices, products or services. There can be no guarantees or assurances that the views expressed here will be applicable for any particular facts or circumstances, and should not be relied upon in any manner. You should consult your own advisers as to legal, business, tax, and other related matters concerning any investment.

The commentary in this “post” (including any related blog, podcasts, videos, and social media) reflects the personal opinions, viewpoints, and analyses of the Ritholtz Wealth Management employees providing such comments, and should not be regarded the views of Ritholtz Wealth Management LLC. or its respective affiliates or as a description of advisory services provided by Ritholtz Wealth Management or performance returns of any Ritholtz Wealth Management Investments client.

References to any securities or digital assets, or performance data, are for illustrative purposes only and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others.

The Compound Media, Inc., an affiliate of Ritholtz Wealth Management, receives payment from various entities for advertisements in affiliated podcasts, blogs and emails. Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. For additional advertisement disclaimers see here:

Please see disclosures here.