Evolving ETFs

A few weeks ago Tadas Viskanta asked a bunch of bloggers the following question: What ETF, if it were launched tomorrow, would you invest in with little (or no) hesitation? Said another way what asset class or strategy is not currently (effectively) available in an ETF wrapper? 

My answer: Nothing. I’m content.

Little did I know that just a few weeks before he asked this, iShares came out with an interesting new set of “evolved” sector ETFs.

From iShares:

“We believe that a classification system that uses forward-looking inputs guided by big data analysis, allows companies to sit in more than one sector and allows sector constituents to change more frequently than traditional classifications may result in a more representative view of sectors within the U.S. economy.”

One of the quirks with sector ETFs is that some stocks aren’t where you’d think. For instance, Amazon is in consumer discretionary (XLY), not tech (XLK). Visa is in tech (XLK) and not financials (XLF). Evolved sector ETFs right this wrong.

Below are the top ten holdings in the evolved discretionary spending sector. Amazon is the second biggest holding, with 36% of its market cap in this particular ETF (the other 64% is in tech).

I don’t trade sector ETFs, but if I did, I’d take a long look at these. At a very reasonable 18 bps, they’re a more accurate reflection of the respective areas of the market. This is something that I didn’t know was missing until I saw it.

This content, which contains security-related opinions and/or information, is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon in any manner as professional advice, or an endorsement of any practices, products or services. There can be no guarantees or assurances that the views expressed here will be applicable for any particular facts or circumstances, and should not be relied upon in any manner. You should consult your own advisers as to legal, business, tax, and other related matters concerning any investment.

The commentary in this “post” (including any related blog, podcasts, videos, and social media) reflects the personal opinions, viewpoints, and analyses of the Ritholtz Wealth Management employees providing such comments, and should not be regarded the views of Ritholtz Wealth Management LLC. or its respective affiliates or as a description of advisory services provided by Ritholtz Wealth Management or performance returns of any Ritholtz Wealth Management Investments client.

References to any securities or digital assets, or performance data, are for illustrative purposes only and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others.

The Compound Media, Inc., an affiliate of Ritholtz Wealth Management, receives payment from various entities for advertisements in affiliated podcasts, blogs and emails. Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. For additional advertisement disclaimers see here: https://www.ritholtzwealth.com/advertising-disclaimers

Please see disclosures here.